East Bradford Township
East Bradford’s history is rich and expansive. The land that makes up the Township was once part of the original land grant from King Charles II to William Penn in 1681. Bradford Township was established in 1705 and was named for Bradford, England. East Bradford Township was established in 1731 when Bradford Township was divided. Today, East Bradford is 15.4 square miles in size with a population of 9,942 (2010 Census). East Bradford exists as a Township of the Second Class under Pennsylvania law. It is governed by an elected, three-member Board of Supervisors. East Bradford has 14 full- and part-time employees, as well as nine volunteer boards and commissions. Police protection is provided by the West Chester Police Department under a municipal agreement between West Chester Borough and the Township. For the past 30 years, East Bradford has been a leader in the protection of open space and environmentally sensitive resources. The Township has worked to preserve roughly 6,000 acres – more than 60% of its land mass – and to develop a network of public trails to link residents to their open space resources.
East Goshen Township
Our vision is to endeavor to be one of the premier communities in Chester County by continually improving the quality of life while, at the same time, managing growth and development in a manner consistent with the protection of our environment and preservation of our natural and historic resources.
Our residents are the reason we exist. We will continually strive to anticipate, understand and meet our residents’ needs and expectations so East Goshen remains the preferred community in Chester County. We will operate the Township in a manner that will minimize the financial impact on our residents. We will provide every employee with the necessary support, training and opportunity to achieve their personal potential and realize job satisfaction. We will recognize commitment and excellent performance. We will seek and respect their opinion. We will place a high value on the health, welfare and safety of our employees and the public. We will act and conduct our activities in a manner that preserves the confidence of our residents and avoids the appearance of impropriety. We will treat the public with respect. We will plan for growth and development and conduct business in a manner that protects our environment and preserves our natural resources, including wildlife. We will protect our historic trees, building and architecture, and recognize our rural and agricultural heritage.
East Goshen will provide the basic infrastructure and services to ensure the health, safety and welfare of our residents, to enhance the quality of life, protect the environment and natural and historic resources, and provide for a balanced tax base to support the residents’ desire.
Thornbury Township, Chester County was organized in 1687 when just six families occupied the land. Prior to its founding, the Delaware Indians traversed the beautiful rolling landscape. Both branches of Chester Creek meander through Thornbury and flow to join the Delaware River. The Battle of Brandywine during the Revolutionary War was partially fought in Thornbury Township. It was one of Thornbury’s citizens, Squire Thomas Cheyney, who informed Washington of the approach of the British.
Today, it is a charming area with winding country roads. It has evolved from a rural area to suburban residential neighborhoods. Thornbury Township has seen tremendous growth over the last decade and only a few key parcels and several smaller parcels remain undeveloped. Our current challenge is to take strong municipal action to preserve our Township’s key remaining resources while regulating new development in a way that limits its impact on our existing residents.
The Board of Supervisors of Thornbury Township, Chester County, through leadership, commitment and prudent spending will: Preserve the rural character, natural and scenic resources, history and quality of life valued by Thornbury residents while regulating new development in a way that limits its impact on our residents and respects the unique character of Thornbury Township; Maintain a safe and efficient circulation system, both vehicular and non-vehicular, while maintaining the current function of the road network to bring about the most beneficial relationship between land use and the traffic circulation patterns throughout the Township; Ensure that Township residents are provided with a high quality water supply in sufficient quantities to meet present as well as future needs; Review, update and improve the Township’s Emergency Operations Plan including police, fire, and ambulance services; Provide recreational opportunities and secure open space that will enhance the quality of life for Township residents; and Inform and educate our residents and business owners, via the Township’s website and newsletter, on issues that affect our Township.
West Goshen Township
The lands of Goshen were purchased in 1681 from William Penn as part of the Welsh tract of Westtown. By 1704, Goshen and Westtown had become separate townships. In 1788, the formation of the Borough of West Chester reduced the size of Goshen. Finally, in 1817, the Township divided into East and West Goshen Townships. At the time of the 1820 census, West Goshen's population numbered 757.
By 1930, West Goshen's population had risen to 1,958. The farming community had grown into a suburban neighborhood. In 1950, the population was 3,500. The Township experienced its most explosive growth during the 1960's and 1970's, and today can boast over 20,000 residents and a balanced mix of residential, business, office, retail, and industrial uses.
West Goshen has emerged as a premiere Chester County location for residents and businesses alike. Named by Money Magazine as the #10 “Best Place to Live” in 2014, West Goshen provides first class amenities, excellent parks and very responsive public safety services.
West Whiteland Township
Originally part of Whiteland Township, West Whiteland Township was incorporated as a separate township in 1765. Covering 13 square miles and serving over 18,000 residents in the Exton and West Chester areas, the Township is governed by an elected, three-member Board of Supervisors and has 60 employees, as well as 6 volunteer commissions. The Township is defined by the "Exton Crossroads" of Route 30 and Route 100, part of a multi-faceted transportation network. In addition to the Crossroads, there is highway access via the Route 30 bypass and PA Turnpike; two Septa train stations, one of which also is an Amtrak stop, with service to Philadelphia, Harrisburg, New York and Washington D.C.; and the Chester Valley Trail, a bike and pedestrian trail that connects to King of Prussia and Philadelphia, with plans developing for future connections to Downingtown and Lancaster.
West Whiteland’s mission is to provide high quality, cost effective local government services that prioritize safety, economic development and sustainability. Our goals are to continually improve West Whiteland's quality of place, promote the Exton Crossroads as a preferred business location, and effectively administer Township operations.
In 1685, three years after the formation of Chester County by William Penn, Westtown Township was established by English Quakers who immigrated to the area to farm the land. Encompassing approximately nine square miles in the eastern part of the county, Westtown’s borders have not changed since its founding. Significant moments in Westtown history include a role in the Battle of the Brandywine in 1777 as British forces advanced through the Township, and the establishment of Camp Elder, a Civil War POW camp. The Township is also home to Westtown School, founded in 1799, and Oakbourne Mansion, built in 1882. Despite the extension of the railroad west from Philadelphia, little growth occurred in Westtown until the 1960’s. The population was only 992 in 1950, but has grown to 10,827, according to the 2010 census. Today, Westtown primarily consists of single-family detached homes, public and private open spaces, several public and private schools, and many acres still actively farmed.
The mission of Westtown's Board of Supervisors is to ensure a high quality of life for township residents, maintain a sense of Westtown community, and provide professional and economical public services. Never ending goals of the Board are to manage growth and changes in Westtown's landscape, while preserving important historical, cultural, and natural resources.